Walnut pesto gets a jalapeño kick in this dairy free version. Shamrock shaped pasta can be purchased online, but feel free to use spinach pasta shells in its place. This recipe comes to us from Kathy Patalsky of Healthy. Happy. Life.
- 6 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1/2 cup olive or grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast*
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 small jalapeño*
- 1 pound spinach shamrock pasta
- 1 pound spinach shell pasta or macaroni
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup grated dairy free cheese
Combine the basil, parsley, walnuts, oil, miso paste, lemon juice and garlic in a blender or food processor. Add the nutritional yeast and jalapeño, if using. Pulse until well blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If you prefer a smoother pesto, add a little water until the sauce reaches desired consistency.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook pasta according to pasta directions. Drain and transfer back to the pot. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Toss the pasta with the pesto sauce, taking care to ensure the sauce is evenly distributed. Transfer the pesto pasta to the baking dish and top with the grated cheese. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.