This recipe can be served as a side dish with dinner or as a tasty, nutritious lunch.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, cut in half
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 28 ounces canned chickpeas, drained
- 11 cups baby spinach, rinsed and shaken dry
- 2 pimientos, drained and sliced (or ? cup roasted red bell pepper strips from a jar)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large, lidded skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, or until golden, but not brown; remove with a slotted spoon and discard.
Add the onion, cumin, turmeric and cayenne and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until soft.
Add the chickpeas and stir until coated with the oil and spices. Stir in the spinach, cover, and cook for 4-5 minutes until wilted.
Uncover, stir in the pimientos, and continue cooking, stirring gently until the liquid evaporates. Season and serve.