Hearty kale is topped with sweet strawberries for a refreshing contrast. A basil shallot vinaigrette tenderizes the kale while almonds add a nutty crunch. This recipe comes to us from Sarah and Lydia of Apples and Onions in LA.
For the basil vinaigrette:
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 10 grinds freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 basil
- 2 tablespoons low fat mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
To complete the Strawberry Kale Salad with Almonds:
- 1 bunch kale, cleaned and cut into chiffonade
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, cut into chiffonade
To make the basil vinaigrette:
Place the shallot, red wine vinegar, pepper, salt, basil and mayonnaise together in a food processor or blender. With the blender or food processor running, slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream until the dressing is emulsified.
To complete the Strawberry Spinach Salad with Almonds:
Toss the kale with the basil vinaigrette. Let sit for 10-15 minutes, or until the kale begins to become tender.
Divide the salad into 6 servings and top with berries, almonds and sliced basil. Enjoy!