Makes 4 servings
Garden tomatoes are at their reddest and juiciest! So grab some fresh tomatoes and savor the flavor of summer before it passes.
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf French bread (sourdough or whole grain also work well)
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced thickly
- Lettuce, baby spinach or arugula
Combine lemon peel, lemon juice, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Mix well. Cut eight 1/2-thick slices of bread, toast lightly then spread a bit of the mayonnaise mixture on each slice. Layer tomatoes and lettuce on four bread slices, then top with remaining bread slices, mayonnaise side down.