Sweet potatoes, corn and green beans are seasoned with garlic, onion and fennel in this hearty soup. The winter veggies are mixed with barley and cooked slowly in a crockpot before marinated tomatoes complete the dish with a bright, flavorful finish. This recipe comes to us from Toni of Toni’s Treehouse.
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel
- 9 ounces carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups fresh, frozen or canned corn kernals
- 2 cups fresh, frozen or canned green beans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 14 ounce cans low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes with herbs, undrained
Place the barley, bay leaf, fennel, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, sweet potatoes, corn, green beans, salt, pepper, vegetable broth and water in a slow cooker. Do not stir.
Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir and add the tomatoes with their juices. Cover the crockpot again and cook 10-15 minutes more, or until the soup is hot.
Remove the bay leaf, serve into 6 bowls and enjoy.