Makes 6 servings
The recipe for this sweet treat was developed by Leah Chase (“the Queen of Creole Cuisine”) when she worked at her family’s famous New Orleans restaurant, Dooky Chase.
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato
- 1/2 cup mashed banana (about 2 small)
- 2 cups evaporated skim milk
- 2 tablespoons. packed brown sugar
- 2 beaten egg yolks (or 1/3 cup egg substitute for less cholesterol)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Nonstick spray coating
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a medium bowl stir together sweet potato and banana. Add milk, blending well. Add brown sugar, egg yolks, and salt, mixing thoroughly. Spray a 1-quart casserole with nonstick spray coating. Transfer sweet potato mixture to casserole. Combine raisins, sugar, and cinnamon; sprinkle over top of sweet potato mixture. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.