This pasta dish allows the natural flavor of mushrooms to shine through.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2/3 cup vegetable stock
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms (sliced or quartered)
- 4 tablespoons white or red wine
- 2 teaspoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley plus extra for garnish
- 1 pound tagliatelle (spinach or sun-dried tomato flavors are also good)
- salt and pepper
- Parmesan shavings for garnish (optional)
Directions Place chopped onion and garlic into a pan with the stock. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Add the mushrooms (quartered if small, sliced if large), wine, tomato puree, and soy sauce. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the lid from the pan and boil until liquid has been reduced by half. Stir in the chopped fresh herbs and season to taste. While the mushrooms are simmering, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water according to directions, until al dente (firm to the tooth). Drain thoroughly and toss lightly with the mushrooms. Serve garnished with parsley and shavings of Parmesan cheese.