This spin on tuna salad tosses tempeh with basmati rice, sun dried tomatoes, mustard and pickle relish. Cabbage’s cousin bok choy is used as an edible serving dish for the terrific tempeh salad. This recipe comes to us from Cat of Verdant Eats.
- 1 cup basmati rice, cooked according to package directions
- 1 2 ounce square pre-cooked tempeh, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fat free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons dairyfree mayonnaise substitute
- 1 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 4 sliced sun-dried tomatoes, crushed and drained of oil
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 4 drops liquid smoke*
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large pieces of bok choy
*liquid smoke is smoke flavor that has been condensed to a liquid and stripped of the tar and carcinogens found in smoke. It can be found near hot sauces in most grocery stores.
In a medium bowl combine rice, tempeh, mayonnaise, mustard, pickle relish, garlic, turmeric, liquid smoke, sundried tomatoes and basil. Mix together with a fork until evenly distributed, being careful not to mash. Season to taste with liquid smoke, salt and pepper.
To serve place half the tempeh salad into each piece of bok choy, as if the bok choy was a bowl.