Makes 6 servings
Comfort food that’s convenient, too. This dish reheats beautifully (and is even better the second day).
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal blended with 1/2 cup water
- 2 large onions, sliced into thin rings
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 medium zucchini, thickly sliced
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Heat oil in a skillet and cook onion, garlic, pepper and herbs for 2-3 minutes, until vegetables soften. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and tomato paste, and cook until mixture boils. Finally, stir in the cornmeal and water mixture. Cook until the sauce thickens.
While the sauce is cooking, microwave the zucchini slices in a covered bowl with a little water. Cook until crisp-tender, then place in a shallow ovenproof dish. Pour the sauce over the zucchini and top with breadcrumbs and cheese. Place under a hot broiler briefly, until topping turns a golden brown.