Preparation time: 1 hour
The green, red, and yellow bell peppers add a vibrant splash of color to the pale rice, while the tangy artichoke hearts, delicate peas, and juicy tomatoes add flavor and nutrients.
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz) olive oil
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups (32 fl. oz) vegetable broth
- 2 cups (16 oz) rice
- 4 medium tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 cup (4 oz) green peas
- 2 cups (14 oz) artichoke hearts, tough outer leaves removed and quartered
- 1 lemon
- Lemon wedges, to garnish
Heat the olive oil in a paella pan and sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is tender and translucent. At the same time, heat the broth in a separate saucepan until simmering.
Pour the rice into the paella pan and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add the bell peppers and tomatoes and cook for a further 3 minutes. Add the simmering vegetable broth and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until almost tender and almost all the liquid has been absorbed. Stir in the peas.
Sprinkle the artichoke hearts with a few drops of lemon juice and arrange over the rice in an attractive pattern. Continue cooking until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
Serve the paella straight from the pan, garnished with lemon wedges.