Sliced mango is dressed with sugar, lime and sesame oil to bring out the dish’s sweet, sour and umami flavors. Fresh chili and onion do their part to add some heat to this refreshing salad. This recipe comes to us from Michael of Herbivoracious.
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 4 tablespoons palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar & 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 slightly underripe mangos, cut into medium sticks
- 1/2 red onion, cut into thin rings & soaked in cold water
- 1 small green chili*
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 handful cilantro
- 1 handful mint leaves
*optional. Thai bird chili works best here, but jalapeno or serrano are also good options
If using palm sugar, crush first in mortar and pestle. It may help to moisten it and microwave a bit first.
Place the lime juice, sugar, ginger, salt and sesame oil in a medium-sized bowl. Shake well to dissolve the sugar. Taste and adjust the balance of flavors to taste. It should be fairly sweet.
Just before serving, combine the dressing with the mango, red onion, green chili, most of the sesame seeds and most of the cilantro or mint. Garnish the salad with the remaining sesame seeds and herbs.