This wrap’s filling – a surprising combination of almonds and walnuts seasoned with savory cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and coriander – literally explodes with flavor. Creamy avocados and sweet, crunchy carrot sticks add a delicious contrast. This recipe comes to us from Christy Morgan, who writes the blog The Blissful Chef.
For the almond walnut filling:
- 1 cup shelled, raw almonds
- 1 cup shelled, raw walnuts
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium tamari soy sauce
To complete the Walnut Almond Lettuce Wraps:
- 4 large Romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
To make the almond walnut filling:
Soak the almonds and walnuts in a small bowl with enough water to cover for 2 hours.
Drain the nuts and transfer to a food processor. Pulse the nuts for about 20-30 seconds, or until they are chopped, but not yet a paste.
Season the chopped nuts with chili powder, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, cinnamon, balsamic vinegar and tamari. Stir to coat well.
To complete the Almond Walnut Lettuce Wraps:
Scoop about 1/2 cup of the almond walnut mixture into each lettuce leaf. Top each with a few carrot sticks and slices of tomato and avocado.