Makes 10 servings
Stuffed mushrooms just might be the ultimate easy appetizer. These can be thrown together by anyone with basic cooking skills in just under 20 minutes. You can even make a batch ahead of time. Double the recipe now so you can freeze half – they’ll keep for up to three months.
- 20 medium mushrooms
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup broth (look for reduced-sodium vegetable broth)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup soft breadcrumbs (stale wheat bread works well)
- 2 teaspoons parmesan cheese grated (look for the low fat kind).
- Preheat the broiler.
- Separate mushroom stems from caps, chop stems and set aside. Chopped parsley and set aside. Place mushroom caps, round side up on baking sheet. Broil for 4 minutes 4 inches from heat. Remove and cool.
- Mix onion, broth, oil and garlic together in a nonstick skillet. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until onions are soft. Remove from heat, add bread crumbs and chopped parsley, then stir well.
- Pack mixture into mushroom caps. Set stuffed caps on a baking sheet and sprinkle with parmesan. Broil for 5 minutes 4 inches from heat until golden brown.