An egg-vegetable medley that is light, yet full of flavor. All the vegetables used here can be easily grown in any garden, so this morning, harvest this frittata without leaving your own backyard. This recipe comes to us from Vivian of Macca’s Meatless Monday.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium-size red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups packed spinach leaves, torn into 1 inch pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ounce Asiago cheese, grated
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
Preheat oven to broil. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper and sauté for about 8 minutes, or until golden.
Add zucchini and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until tender.
Add spinach and stir for about 1 minute, or until wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
Whisk eggs, egg whites, salt and pepper together in medium bowl. Pour egg mixture over the hot vegetables in skillet and stir gently to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook without stirring for about 5 minutes, or until eggs are set on bottom.
Sprinkle cheese over frittata. Broil for about 2 minutes, or until cheese melts.
Sprinkle with tomatoes and basil and enjoy.