Tofu and zucchini are seasoned with turmeric, fresh basil, oregano and rosemary, then scrambled together on the stove. This breakfast is easily adaptable to include your favorite spices, but seasoning the tofu with kala namak gives it a delicious flavor mimicking scrambled eggs. This recipe comes to us from Marti of Tofu ‘n Sproutz.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound firm tofu, patted dry and crumbled
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon powder
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast*
- a pinch kala namak**
- salt and pepper, to taste
*Optional. Found in health food stores or the health section of most grocery stores.
**Optional. Kala Namak is Indian black salt, found in Indian specialty stores.
Place the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the crumbled tofu, zucchini and onion or scallions to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5-7 minutes, or until the tofu has browned and the veggies are cooked through.
Stir the vinegar, turmeric, basil, oregano, rosemary, bouillon powder, nutritional yeast, if using into the tofu veggie mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste, as well as the kala namak, if using.
Cook 1-2 minutes more, or until the tofu scramble reaches desired consistency. Divide into 4 portions and enjoy!